A rhytidectomy, more commonly known as a facelift, is a procedure that can take years off of your face and help you feel more confident and attractive. While this procedure isn’t right for everyone, it does come with many benefits. Keep reading to learn more about the procedure and find out if it is a good option for you.
How does a facelift work?
As people get older skin sags and extra fat deposits can leave you looking older and heavier than you feel. During a traditional facelift, incisions are made near the hairline and the skin is raised from the face so that the underlying tissues can be tightened and repositioned. Excess skin is also removed during the procedure. Facelifts are usually used to correct issues with the lower two thirds of the face, but if you’d like to address other areas, facelifts can often be combined with other cosmetic procedures such as neck lifts, blepharoplasty, brow lifts, and skin treatments.
Who is a good candidate for a facelift?
A facelift is just one of many cosmetic procedures available. Your doctor can help you explore your options and choose a procedure that suits you. A facelift isn’t the right option for everyone.
The following people should consider alternatives:
- People who are still quite young and just want to make small improvements • People who aren’t comfortable undergoing surgery.
- People who only want to improve one thing—for example patients should consider dermal fillers if they just want to get fuller lips.
Good candidates for a facelift include:
- People who’d like to see significant improvement—other cosmetic treatments provide more subtle results.
- People who want to improve many areas of the face, not just one specific aspect.
- People who are comfortable with surgery and healthy enough to undergo the procedure. A rhytidectomy is usually performed under general anesthesia to minimize pain and discomfort.
- People who want long-term results—while alternatives such as Botox and dermal fillers can improve your skin, patients need repeat treatments to maintain their appearance. A facelift provides longer lasting results.
If you’d like to learn more about facelifts and other cosmetic treatments schedule a consultation at Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery.