Liposuction can help you get the slimmer, sexier body you’ve always wanted. Keep reading to learn more about how it works and find out if it is a good option for you.
How does liposuction work?
Liposuction uses small incisions and a vacuum shaped like a small wand to remove unwanted pockets of fat on specific areas of the body. One of the most common types of liposuction is tumescent liposuction. This type of liposuction uses a special mixture of adrenaline and anesthetic to numb the target area, control bleeding, and react with the fat inside your body to make it easier to remove.
Liposuction is often used to remove fat from the abdomen, thighs, hips, buttocks, and arms. In some cases it can also be used on smaller areas of the body like the neck. The procedure takes anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours depending on the area being treated.
What should you do to prepare for the procedure?
The most important part of preparing for the procedure is following your surgeon’s specific instructions. In general the following tips can help you prepare:
- Stop smoking for at least two weeks before the procedure and do your best to quit completely.
- Stop taking pain medications that act as blood thinners such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen and Naprosyn.
- Keep alcohol consumption to a minimum in the days leading up to and following the surgery.
- Drink plenty of fluids the day before the surgery.
- Make arrangements for someone to drive you home on the day of the procedure.
- Fill your prescriptions ahead of time so that you can rest and relax while you heal.
What should you expect afterward?
Liposuction is not incredibly invasive, but it does require some recovery time. You may experience some bruising, swelling, and discomfort in the days following the procedure. In the days following the procedure some fluid may drain from the small incisions but this is normal.
While patients need to avoid strenuous activities for up to 6 weeks, you may be able to return to normal daily activities much sooner. Your doctor can help you determine when you can resume activities and help you speed up the recovery process.
Who is a good candidate for liposuction?
If you are at a healthy, stable weight, but have unwanted pockets of stubborn fat that are frustrating you and detracting from your appearance, liposuction may be a great solution. Schedule a consultation at Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery to learn more.